Having given up getting normal ESX booting from within KVM, I thought i'd
give ESXi a go.

PXE booting the hypervisor image outside of KVM I have working fine.

When trying within KVM i had a few issues:

The 'vmport' breaks ESXi, so for now I commented out vmport_init();

Then it complains about the CPU model_id, so I copy pasted it from my
host.

Now it gives an error that I don't quite understand:

No pages allocated to Node 0 -- big mismatch between BIOS and SRAT memory
maps, or MTRR error, or user removed all memory from a Node. Try checking
memory or upgrading BIOS.

I've tried removing some of the reported CPU capabilities (e.g. MTRR) from
qemu/target-i386/helper.c, but unsure if that makes any difference.

Command line:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512 -std-vga -boot n -net nic -net tap -curses -k en-gb
-localtime

(Have tried a few including with/without ACPI)

I've hardcoded the model_id to be "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core
Processor 3800+" (the host).

Using an (almost) up to date kvm-userspace.git and its kvm kernel.

How can I try to debug what ESXi is trying to ask for?