* On Wednesday 27 Aug 2008 19:16:40 Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 03:48:54PM +0300, Ben-Ami Yassour1 wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 18:29 +0300, Amit Shah wrote:
> > > From: Or Sagi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > From: Nir Peleg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > From: Amit Shah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > From: Ben-Ami Yassour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > From: Glauber de Oliveira Costa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Hey Amit,
>
> In addition to Ben's other comments, note that git only uses the first
> From: line as the author of the patch, and the rest are meaningless
> from git's point of view. With a patch such as this where there were

That's right; this is just a way to mention authorship (instead of based on..)

> multiple authors, I would pick one person (whoever wrote the bulk of
> the patch) as the author, and then acknowledge the rest in the
> changelog comment, "based on a patch by ...", etc.
>
> Also, if that person's patch had a Signed-off by, you should include
> that too. Or at least that's how I understand it.

I won't say so. Let's say X sends a patch which Y picks up and add changes
which X doesn't approve or can't ascertain the source of (Y could have copied
them from somewhere else). It should just contain Y's sign-off.

The Sign-off was introduced to trace the flow of patches from individual
authors to people forwarding them onwards. If something is found to be wrong
with a patch that was submitted, the person listed first in the Signed-off-by
series will be held accountable.

Amit