Avi Kivity wrote:
> Jim Paris wrote:
>> Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>>> - restore option roms to their original content on reset
>>>   - fixes extboot failures after reset
>>
>> It doesn't seem to work here:
>
> grub is probably booting via int 19 or jumping to the reset vector, so
> kvm doesn't see the reboot.

You're right:

ENTRY(grub_reboot)
        call    EXT_C(prot_to_real)
        .code16
        /* cold boot */
        movw    $0x0472, %di
        movw    %ax, (%di)
        ljmp    $0xFFFF, $0x0000

> If that's the case, we can either implement
> the chipset's memory control registers properly and teach the bios to
> program them, or add a hack in the bios to trigger the copying without
> the full reset.

My testing was a bit flawed.  With kvm-74, I noticed that reboot from
Linux had the problem, and reboot from grub failed the same way.  With
kvm-75, I only tested reboot from grub.  I can verify that reboot
from Linux works fine with virtio and kvm-75, and so the current
behavior is actually fine for us.

Thanks,
-jim