Last February I dug into where it was getting stuck. See:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/13537/match=pci%5fset%5firq

and follow up posts.

For the past 5-6 months I've been using the e1000 nic in rhel3 and rhel4
guests without a problem -- and without the need for guest hacks like
noapic.

david