Jan Kiszka wrote:
Maybe the answer is to generate the local nmi via an IPI-to-self command
to the local apic.

Going this way leaves me with a few questions: Will it be OK for the
related mainainers to export the required service?

If we can make a case for it (I think we can), then I don't see why not.

Sheng, can you confirm that 'int 2' is problematic, and that nmi-via-lapic is the best workaround?

And is it safe to
assume VMX == LAPIC available and usable?

Yes.

However, this is how it would look like.

I'd define a send_nmi_self() instead, to allow the implementation to change (x2apic/etc).

Yet untested, /me has to
replace his host kernel first...

You could test it in a VM, if someone implements nested vmx :)

btw, looks like svm is not affected by this.