On Sunday 28 September 2008, Amit Shah wrote:
> * On Saturday 27 Sep 2008 13:27:46 Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> > > Yes, currently you need VT-d support in hardware to assign device.
> >
> > So I take it the PV-DMA (or pv-dma doesn't do what I think it does...) or
> > the other 1:1 device pass through work isn't working right now?
>
> pvdma does work, but the most recent patches aren't yet published (I should
> do that). It will work for simple devices.
>
> 1:1 will also work.

Once the trees are updated?

> > It's something I'd really like to use, but I don't have access to a
> > platform with a hardware iommu. Though I might be able to pick up a
> > replacement board for my new server with the SB750 southbridge which
> > supposedly has AMD's new iommu hardware in it, but I haven't seen any
> > evidence that kvm or linux supports it.
>
> Linux 2.6.27 onwards supports AMD IOMMU. kvm (and device assignment)
> support for AMD IOMMU doesn't exist yet, but work is planned to start soon.

What does the kernel supporting it help a person wanting to use it to pass
through devices to guests if kvm doesn't support it? Also, what would the
kernel use it for in that case?

> The userspace patch is undergoing pre-merge revisions.
>
> I'll send out an email once I get my git trees synced up to my working
> revisions.
>
> In the meantime, you can use the patches from the list.

Its rather hard to find the patches from before I joined the list, most
archives don't keep attachments.

> --

Thanks for the heads up, and all the work on this stuff :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
[EMAIL PROTECTED]