On 19.09.2008, at 17:56, Joerg Roedel wrote:

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 04:36:00PM +0200, Joerg Roedel wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 03:41:17PM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
To be usable, this patchset requires the two simple changes in the userspace
part, that I sent to the list with the first version.

Thanks for reviewing!

Ok, with the patch attached applied on-top of your patches I got a
recent KVM running inside KVM. And it doesn't feel very slow :-)
I will do some benchmarks in the next days to get real numbers. The
patches look good so far.
But I think for now we should disable the feature by default and allow
enabling it from userspace until we are sure we don't introduce any
security hole and don't destroy migration with it. We can add a
-nested-virt parameter to qemu to enable it for the guest then.
Another thing missing is the SVM feature CPUID function. It is used to
find out the number of ASIDs available. But this is a minor issue as
long as we only run KVM inside KVM.

Ok, further testing showed two issues so far:

- guest timing seems not to work, the printk timing information in ubuntu
 stay at 0.00000 all the time

Hum, I just tried again and it seems to work - I see the numbers increasing when booting from a 8.10 Ubuntu CD.

- smp for the second level guest does not work, it crashes also the
 first level guest

This works when using -no-kvm-irqchip for the l2 guest. Any ideas?

Alex