Am 02.11.2008 um 10:11 schrieb Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Anthony Liguori wrote:
That's a really good idea. We'd only have to check the MSR value on EFER set, to know if setting SVME is allowed. That would allow for a really easy control over the SVM feature on a per-guest basis and from userspace.

And with Gleb's BIOS configuration changes that are now upstream, it's really easy to communicate to the BIOS whether SVM should be enabled.

We need the ability to control this on the qemu level rather than guest bios level. For example, once you enable the cpuid bit, then, strictly speaking, you lose the ability to live migrate across vendors.

Hum, so we could patch the bios to always try and activate svm when the cpuid bit is found and disable it (msr write) when not. Then we could simply enable/disable the cpuid capability in qemu if we don't want it exposed.