Farkas Levente wrote:
There is the maint/ series on git.kernel.org.  It doesn't have formal
releases though.

do you plan any formal release? and it'd be nice to see the relationship
between the current devel tree and the stable tree to eg. last stable
0.5 current devel 0.78.

The key to a formal release is a formal test suite. We've been building one (for a long while) but it isn't in production yet.

The plan is for it to be open so people can add their favorite guests, to ensure they will not regress.

on the other hand the real question are you plan to somehow stabilize
any of the following release in the near future? in the last 1.5 years
we wait for this. or you currently not recommend and not plan to use kvm
in production? it's also an option but would be useful to know. in this
case we (and probably many others) switch to xen, virtualbox, vmware or
anything else as a virtualization platform.

kvm is used in production on several products. Just not the kvm-nn releases I make. The production versions of kvm are backed by testing, which makes all the difference. Slapping a 'stable' label over a release doesn't make it so.