On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Avi Kivity wrote:

> Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > > Right now, qcow2 isn't a
> > > reliable format regardless of the type of cache your using because
> > > metadata is not updated in the correct order.
> >
> > so you don't advise to use qcow2 as a VBD or what do you mean with "isn't
> > reliable"?
> >

> Right, qcow2 is both very slow with cache=writethrough (or off), and may
> corrupt itself if the host crashes at the wrong moment.
>
> > or contrawise: on the other formats the metadata is updated in the correct
> > order?
> >

> raw is the only format we're sure of.

With that in mind I converted my qcow2 image to raw, and I'm trying to use
that as a base image to create a new raw (writeable) image:

#qemu-img create -b vista.raw vista.delta
Formatting 'vista.delta', fmt=raw, backing_file=vista.raw, size=20971520 kB
qemu-img: Formatting or formatting option not supported for file format 'raw'

Doesn't that seem like a bug?  Do people just not use raw images in this
way?

Thanks.