Michael Tokarev wrote:
As you see, it writes 2 bytes, llseeks to THE SAME
position, writes next 2 bytes and so on.  This takes
HUGE amount of time, and can be done, in most cases,
in a single write without any seeks.

Is it just me or are savevm/loadvm/delvm really THAT
broken?
It's qcow2 that is broken, with the new default cache=writethrough. Does cache=writeback speed things up?

Please excuse me for this long delay replying...
I tried other solutions meanwhile (migrate to exec:), but did not
succeed there either.

Well.  While with writeback mode, the speed is definitely
better.  But it is still very very slow - not THAT terrible,
but it still takes several mins to complete a 512MB VM with
a single 4Gb qcow2 file.

Any idea what is happening?  Is it disk bound, or cpu bound?

It shouldn't be that slow with writeback.