Avi Kivity wrote:
Andre Przywara wrote:
The user (or better: management application) specifies the host nodes
the guest should use: -nodes 2,3 would create a two node guest mapped to
node 2 and 3 on the host. These numbers are handed over to libnuma:
VCPUs are pinned to the nodes and the allocated guest memory is bound to
it's respective node. Since libnuma seems not to be installed
everywhere, the user has to enable this via configure --enable-numa
In the BIOS code an ACPI SRAT table was added, which describes the NUMA
topology to the guest. The number of nodes is communicated via the CMOS
RAM (offset 0x3E). If someone thinks of this as a bad idea, tell me.

There exists now a firmware interface in qemu for this kind of communications.
Oh, right you are, I missed that (was well hidden). I was looking at how the BIOS detects memory size and CPU numbers and these methods are quite cumbersome. Why not convert them to the FW_CFG methods (which the qemu side already sets)? To not diverge too much from the original BOCHS BIOS?

Node over-committing is allowed (-nodes 0,0,0,0), omitting the -nodes
parameter reverts to the old behavior.

'-nodes' is too generic a name ('node' could also mean a host). Suggest -numanode.

Need more flexibility: specify the range of memory per node, which cpus are in the node, relative weights for the SRAT table:

  -numanode node=1,cpu=2,cpu=3,start=1G,size=1G,hostnode=3

I converted my code to use the new firmware interface. This also makes it possible to pass more information between qemu and BIOS (which prevented a more flexible command line in the first version).
So I would opt for the following:
- use numanode (or simply numa?) instead of the misleading -nodes
- allow passing memory sizes, VCPU subsets and host CPU pin info
I would prefer Daniel's version:
-numa <nrnodes>[,mem:<node1size>[;<node2size>...]]
[,cpu:<node1cpus>[;<node2cpus>...]]
[,pin:<node1hostnode>[;<host2hostnode>...]]

That would allow easy things like -numa 2 (for a two guest node), not given options would result in defaults (equally split-up resources).

The only problem is the default option for the host side, as libnuma requires to explicitly name the nodes. Maybe make the pin: part _not_ optional? I would at least want to pin the memory, one could discuss about the VCPUs...

Also need a monitor command to change host nodes dynamically:
Implementing a monitor interface is a good idea.
(qemu) numanode 1 0
Does that include page migration? That would be easily possible with mbind(MPOL_MF_MOVE), but would take some time and resources (which I think is OK if explicitly triggered in the monitor). Any other useful commands for the monitor? Maybe (temporary) VCPU migration without page migration?

Regards,
Andre.

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany