Can anyone provide any pointers as to what might cause virtio networking
to be slow (~55Mb/s)? Here's what I've tried so far:

Guests tried:

Windows Server 2003 x32 SP2  UP guest w/ Windows guest drivers ver 3

Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 SMP guest w/ Windows guest drivers ver 3

On the host:

On all the hosts I'm using CentOS 5.2 x64. Two of the three physical
servers I've tried are dual Intel Xeon E5430s (Dell 2950s). The third
server is a Dual Opteron 2350 (Dell R805). All the servers are brand new
and have almost no load currently.

I've tried using KVM-79 built against the stock 2.6.18 kernel, KVM-79
built against a custom 2.6.27.8 kernel, and git (on 12/10/08) built
against 2.6.27.8.

In all cases, I've made sure to copy the if_tun.h and virtio*.h from my
current kernel includes into the kernel/include/linux directory in my
kvm-79 or kvm-userspace source tree before building, since I've heard
this is necessary to enable GSO support, although I've also been told
that lacking GSO shouldn't make it quite as slow as it is.

In all cases, when I test throughput from the guest using virtio to the
host's br0 (the bridge the guest is joined to), I get somewhere between
55Mb/s and 150Mb/s. This is even less than I get with the rtl8139 and
e1000 emulation (between 200 and 350 Mb/s).

Everything else with this host and guest works great. Pings from guest
to host are perfect (on the intel servers, not on the amd server but
that's another issue I believe). Is there something I could be doing
wrong during my host kernel config, or during my kvm build, etc that
could cause virtio to work, but so slowly? Any ideas are greatly
appreciated.

-Adrian