Bugs item #2482759, was opened at 2009-01-02 14:03
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by ryandbair
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2482759&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
When starting up a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 R2 x64, I get errors
similar to the following...

scsi-disk: Command: lun=0 tag=0x0 data=0x12 0x01 0x00 0x00 0xff 0x00
scsi-disk: Inquiry (len 255)
scsi-disk: Inquiry EVPD[Supported pages] buffer size 255
scsi-disk: Read buf_len=7
scsi-disk: Read sector_count=0
scsi-disk: Command complete tag=0x0 status=0 sense=0
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0xff = 0x0
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0x100 = 0x0
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0x101 = 0x0
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0x102 = 0x0

While these errors are happening on boot, the animated bar continues to scroll.
The errors continue for about a minute and then everything suddenly kicks into
gear and the machine continues to boot.

This also happens while trying to get partition information through the device
properties in the device manager and through the disk management mmc snapin.

I'm running kvm-82 on Debian Lenny AMD64. The disk is a 20GB virtual SCSI, raw
format.

Here's the command I'm using to run KVM.

kvm -m 1024 -smp 2 -drive file=system.img,if=scsi,boot=on -localtime --vnc
127.0.0.1:0 &> ../win2k3x64.log

Date: 2009-01-05 10:34

Message:
While everything still works it certainly does affect the usability of
Windows guests on SCSI. Freezing all SCSI disk I/O for 20 minutes (new
record!) when opening the disk management snap-in and adding up to 5
minutes to the Windows boot time really makes it unusable.

I can understand it might not be the highest priority at the moment, but I
wouldn't put it too far down the list either.

Comment By: Ryan Harper (ryan_harper)
Date: 2009-01-04 21:11

Message:
Yeah, it's worth keeping open so we at least track that it is an open
issue.  It is harmless AFAICT, so no plans to implement the eeprom
interface unless it prevents functionality.  We've got lots of other issues
to fix in the scsi layer.

Comment By: Ryan Bair (ryandbair)
Date: 2009-01-04 21:05

Message:
Thanks, as far as I can see this is the first time the bug has been
reported on the tracker so I will keep this bug open.

Are there any workarounds or a planned fixes for this issue?

Comment By: Ryan Harper (ryan_harper)
Date: 2009-01-04 20:44

Message:
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0xff = 0x0
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0x100 = 0x0
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0x101 = 0x0
lsi_scsi: error: Unhandled writeb 0x102 = 0x0

These are known error messages.  Looks like the windows driver is poking
at the serial eeprom interface for loading SSVID/SSID but that's not
implemented, hence the error message.