On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:06:01PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Sheng Yang wrote:
>> I just use it as #ifdef in userspace now, for no user other than
>> MSI/MSI-X now. And if we keep maintaining it in kernel, we would return
>> free size instead of maximum size..
>>

> We need to allow userspace to change pic/ioapic routing for the HPET.
>
> There are two styles of maintaining the table:
>
> 1. add/remove ioctls
>
> The advantage is that very little work needs to be done when something
> changes, but the code size (and bug count) doubles.
>
> 2. replace everything ioctl
>
> Smaller code size, but slower if there are high frequency changes
>
> I don't think we'll see high frequency interrupt routing changes; we'll
> probably have one on setup (for HPET), another when switching from ACPI
> PIC mode to ACPI APIC mode, and one for every msi initialized.

Hi, Avi

After reconsidering, I must say I prefer add/remove ioctls.

About the code size, I don't think it would increase much. I've rewritten
the code twice, I think I know the difference is little.

For the option 2 route table ioctl, we got a array from userspace, and would
convert it to linked list and keep it in kernel. That's a kind of must(I
don't think you would prefer use a array in kernel), and it's very direct.

So, we have to insert/delete route entry for both. What's the real
difference we do it one by one or do it all at once. I don't think it is
much different on the code size. And it's indeed very clear and direct.

Beside this, option 2 seems strange. Why should we handle this table in this
way when it won't result in significant code reduce. Insert/delete entry it
there, look up entry is also there, not many things changed. And it's not
that direct as option 1, which also can be a source of bugs.

How do you think?

--
regards
Yang, Sheng     |Intel Opensource Technology Center