Hi Paolo,

Hmm, the symptoms don't seem to match entirely -- I already am on a 64-bit kernel. I didn't recognize high CPU utilization, but I also admit I wasn't looking for it. Leaving the instance running doesn't eventually hang my system, but it did cause strange system behavior.

Some apps would stall while launching, others that were already running would not be able to perform some operations. Nautilus, for example, couldn't render directory views and would display "Loading..." in the corner of the window. I assume this is because CPU1 is locked by KVM. Stopping the instance would allow any pending operations to complete; apps stuck launching all started at once, and Nautilus was again able to show me my local disk.

I believe it also prevented clean shutdown. My keyboard's LEDs would stop responding and after allowing a reasonable amount of time, I reached for the reset button several times.

I'll reinstall Linux 3.13 tonight and try to confirm these details.