On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Nakajima, Jun <jun.nakaj...@intel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Andy Lutomirski <l...@amacapital.net> wrote:
>
>> Might Intel be willing to extend that range to 0x40000000 -
>> 0x400fffff?  And would Microsoft be okay with using this mechanism for
>> discovery?
>
> So, for CPUID, the SDM (Table 3-17. Information Returned by CPUID) says today:
> "No existing or future CPU will return processor identification or
> feature information if the initial EAX value is in the range 40000000H
> to 4FFFFFFFH."
>
> We can define a cross-VM CPUID range from there. The CPUID can return
> the index of the MSR if needed.

Right, sorry.  I was looking at this sentence in SDM Volume 3 Section 35.1:

MSR address range between 40000000H - 400000FFH is marked as a
specially reserved range. All existing and
future processors will not implement any features using any MSR in this range.

That's not really a large enough range for us to reserve an MSR for
this.  However, KVM, is already using MSRs outside that range: it uses
0x4b564d00-0x4b564d04 or so.  I wonder whether KVM got confused by the
differing ranges for cpuid leaves and MSR indices.

Any chance that Intel could reserve a larger range to include the KVM
MSRs?  It would also be easier if the MSR indices for cross-HV
features were constants.

Thanks,
Andy