On Tue, 2015-02-03 at 23:56 +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 06:29:59AM +0000, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > +            * Copy over the virtio-scsi request header, which when
> > +            * ANY_LAYOUT is enabled may span multiple iovecs, or a
> > +            * single iovec may contain both the header + outgoing
> > +            * WRITE payloads.
> > +            *
> > +            * copy_from_iter() is modifying the iovecs as copies over
> > +            * req_size bytes into req, so the returned out_iter.iov[0]
> > +            * will contain the correct start + offset of the outgoing
> > +            * WRITE payload, if DMA_TO_DEVICE is set.
>
> It does no such thing.  What it does, though, is changing out_iter so
> that subsequent copy_from_iter() will return the data you want.  Note
> that out_iter.iov[0] will contain the correct _segment_ of that vector,
> with the data you want at out_iter.iov_offset bytes from the beginning
> of that segment.  .iov may come to point to subsequent segments and
> .iov_offset
> keeps changing, but segments themselves are never changed.

Yes, sorry.  Updating that comment to read:

 /*
  * Copy over the virtio-scsi request header, which for a
  * ANY_LAYOUT enabled guest may span multiple iovecs, or a
  * single iovec may contain both the header + outgoing
  * WRITE payloads.
  *
  * copy_from_iter() copies over req_size bytes, and sets up
  * out_iter.iov[0] + out_iter.iov_offset to contain the start
  * of the outgoing WRITE payload, if DMA_TO_DEVICE is set.
  */

> > +            */
> > +           iov_iter_init(&out_iter, READ, &vq->iov[0], out,
>                                        ^^^^ WRITE, please - as in "this is
> the source of some write, we'll be copying _from_ it".  READ would be
> "destination of some read, we'll be copying into it".

Ahh, missed that iov_iter_get_pages() is already doing the write bit
inversion of get_user_pages_fast() for in_iter -> DMA_FROM_DEVICE.

Fixed to use correct i->type assignments.

> > +                        (data_direction == DMA_TO_DEVICE) ?
> > +                         req_size + exp_data_len : req_size);
> > +
> > +           ret = copy_from_iter(req, req_size, &out_iter);

> > +           /*
> > +            * Determine start of T10_PI or data payload iovec in ANY_LAYOUT
> > +            * mode based upon data_direction.
> > +            * For DMA_TO_DEVICE, this is iov_out from copy_from_iter()
> > +            * with the already recalculated iov_base + iov_len.
>
> ITYM "this is out_iter, which is already pointing to the right place"

Updated.

> AFAICS, the actual use is correct, it's just that the comments are confused.

Thanks for your review.

--nab