On Wed, 2015-10-28 at 07:07 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> In the sparc64 case, the 64-bit DMA address space is divided into
> IOMMU translated and non-IOMMU translated.
>
> You just set the high bits differently depending upon what you want.

Wait, does that mean a (rogue) device could *always* get full access to
physical memory just by setting the high bits appropriately? That
mapping is *always* available?

> So a device could use both IOMMU translated and bypass accesses at
> the same time.  While seemingly interesting, I do not recommend we
> provide this kind of flexibility in our DMA interfaces.

Now I could understand this if the answer to my question above was
'no'. We absolutely want the *security* all the time, and we don't want
the device to be able to do stupid stuff. But if the answer was 'yes'
then we take the map/unmap performance hit for... *what* benefit?

On Intel we have the passthrough as an *option* and I have the same
initial reaction — "Hell no, we want the security". But I concede the
performance motivation for it, and I'm not *dead* set against
permitting it.

If I tolerate a per-device request for passthrough mode, that might
prevent people from disabling the IOMMU or putting it into passthrough
mode *entirely*. So actually, I'm *improving* security...

I think it makes sense to allow performance sensitive device drivers to
*request* a passthrough mode. The platform can reserve the right to
refuse, if either the IOMMU hardware doesn't support that, or we're in
a paranoid mode (with iommu=always or something on the command line).

--
dwmw2