Avi Kivity wrote:
Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:
Christian Ehrhardt wrote:

The bad thing on vcpu->request in that case is that I don't want the async behaviour of vcpu->requests in that case, I want the memory slot updated in all vcpu's when the ioctl is returning.

You mean, the hardware can access the vcpu control block even when the vcpu is not running?
No, hardware only uses it with a running vcpu, but I realised my own fault while changing the code to vcpu->request style. For s390 I need to update the KVM->arch and *all* vcpu->arch->sie_block... data synchronously.

Out of interest, can you explain why?
Sure I'll try to give an example.

a) The whole guest has "one" memory slot representing all it's memory. Therefore some important values like guest_origin and guest_memsize (one slot so it's just addr+size) are kept at VM level in kvm->arch. b) We fortunately have cool hardware support for "nearly everything"(tm) :-) In this case for example we set in vcpu->arch.sie_block the values for origin and size translated into a "limit" to get memory management virtualization support. c) we have other code e.g. all our copy_from/to_guest stuff that uses the kvm->arch values

If we would allow e.g. updates of a memslot (or as the patch supposes to harden the set_memory_region code against inconsiderate code changes in other sections) it might happen that we set the kvm->arch information but the vcpu->arch->sie_block stuff not until next reentry. Now concurrently the running vcpu could cause some kind of fault that involves a copy_from/to_guest. That way we could end up with potentially invalid handling of that fault (fault handling and running guest would use different userspace adresses until it is synced on next vcpu reentry) - it's theoretical I know, but it might cause some issues that would be hard to find.

On the other hand for the long term I wanted to note that all our copy_from/to_guest functions is per vcpu, so when we some day implement updateable memslots, multiple memslots or even just fill "free time"(tm) and streamline our code we could redesign that origin/size storage. This could be done multiple ways, either just store it per vcpu or with a lock for the kvm->arch level variables - both ways and maybe more could then use the vcpu->request based approach, but unfortunately it's neither part of that patch nor of the current effort to do that.

The really good thing is, because of our discussion about that I now have a really detailed idea how I can improve that code aside from this bugfix patch (lets hope not too far in the future).

That makes the "per vcpu resync on next entry" approach not feasible.

On the other hand I realized at the same moment that the livelock should be no issue for us, because as I mentioned:
a) only one memslot
b) a vcpu can't run without memslot
So I don't even need to kick out vcpu's, they just should not be running. Until we ever support multiple slots, or updates of the existing single slot this should be ok, so is the bugfix patch this should be. To avoid a theoretical deadlock in case other code is changing (badly) it should be fair to aquire the lock with mutex_trylock and return -EINVAL if we did not get all locks.

OK.

--

GrĂ¼sse / regards, Christian Ehrhardt
IBM Linux Technology Center, Open Virtualization