* Avi Kivity <a...@redhat.com> [2009-06-01 12:04]:

> >>kvm-kmod is really designed for those running on pre-kvm distro kernels,
> >>and for those testing newer kvm versions on distro kernels.  If you can
> >>compile your own kernel, download kvm.git and run that.
> >>

> >So no way of having kvm-kmod sync in kvm.git bits and still build
> >against the current running kernel?
> >

> We must be miscommunicating, what you describe is kvm-kmod.git's sole
> purpose in life.
>
> >I wanted to test out 2.6.29-maint kernel modules and in
> >kvm-userspace/kernel, I could checkout maint/2.6.29 in kvm.git and then
> >make LINUX= sync.  I couldn't quite figure out how to do that with
> >kvm-kmod since when I do a ./configure --kerneldir -- it's building
> >modules *for* whatever kernel is at kerneldir rather than just syncing
> >in the kvm bits from that kerneldir and then building modules against
> >the running kernel.
> >

> 'make sync' will copy the kvm bits from the linux-2.6 directory, or
> $(LINUX) if you specify that to make.
>
> So:
>  LINUX= is for the kvm sources (further controlled by whatever branch
> is checked out)
>  --kerneldir= is for the host kernel

% cd kvm
% git checkout -f 2.6.29-stable origins/maint/2.6.29
% cd ../kvm-kmod.git
% ./configure
% make LINUX=../kvm sync
./sync -v kvm-devel -l ../kvm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./sync", line 207, in <module>
    source_sync(arch)
  File "./sync", line 200, in source_sync
    hack(T, arch, i)
  File "./sync", line 123, in hack
    _hack(T + '/' + file, arch)
  File "./sync", line 114, in _hack
    data = file(fname).read()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'source/timer.c'
make: *** [sync] Error 1

kvm.git on branch kvm-85:
% make LINUX=/home/rharper/work/git/kvm sync
./sync -v kvm-devel -l /home/rharper/work/git/kvm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./sync", line 207, in <module>
    source_sync(arch)
  File "./sync", line 200, in source_sync
    hack(T, arch, i)
  File "./sync", line 123, in hack
    _hack(T + '/' + file, arch)
  File "./sync", line 114, in _hack
    data = file(fname).read()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'source/eventfd.c'
make: *** [sync] Error 1

kvm.git on branch kvm-86:
% make LINUX=/home/rharper/work/git/kvm sync
./sync -v kvm-devel -l /home/rharper/work/git/kvm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./sync", line 207, in <module>
    source_sync(arch)
  File "./sync", line 200, in source_sync
    hack(T, arch, i)
  File "./sync", line 123, in hack
    _hack(T + '/' + file, arch)
  File "./sync", line 114, in _hack
    data = file(fname).read()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'source/eventfd.c'
make: *** [sync] Error 1

only branch master seems to work with kvm-kmod

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx