So far I've been using files and/or LVM partitions for my VMs --
basically by using virt-manager and modifying existing XML configs and
just copying my VM files to be reused.

I'm wondering how KVM storage pools work -- at first I thought it was
something like KVM's version of LVM where you can just dump all your
VMs in one space .. .but it looks like it's really means "different
places you want to store your VMs":

- dir: Filesystem Directory
- disk: Physical Disk Device
- fs: Pre-Formatted Block Device
- iscsi: iSCSI Target
-logical: LVM Volume Group
- netfs: Network exported directory

I understand things like LVM and storing VMs in a filesystem
directory.. but what real difference is there by going through the
GUI? I suppose nothing. Maybe I'm overthinking this -- it's just a
frontend to where you store your VMs?