On 12/23/2009 03:37 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Should be automatic.  After all, we expose all the MSR list, so qemu can
read it and save everything there.
Hum, thinking a bit more about this (and reading Glauber's previous attempt)
its not
entirely clear that using the list provided by KVM_GET_MSR_INDEX_LIST to
automatically save/restore
is a good thing:

- The MSR must be saved in QEMU's CPUState representation, and its
   likely that it won't exist prior to the addition there.

- What about savevm/loadvm versioning? Currently the QEMU migration
protocol is unable to deal with a new kernel that supports, for example,
MSR_TSC_AUX vs a kernel that does not (in case MSRs were automatically
saved), with the same qemu-kvm version.

You're right.

Well, qemu knows about cpuid.rdtscp, so we can add it to vmstate if it is enabled. We should probably whitelist flags in qemu in the same way we whitelist them in kvm.