Am 07.02.2010 um 13:50 schrieb Avi Kivity <a...@redhat.com>:

On 02/04/2010 05:55 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
The one big thing about the Gekko is paired singles.

Paired singles are an extension to the instruction set, that adds 32 single precision floating point registers (qprs), some SPRs to modify the behavior of paired singled operations and instructions to deal with qprs to the
instruction set.

Unfortunately, it also changes semantics of existing operations that affect single values in FPRs. In most cases they get mirrored to the coresponding
QPR.

Thanks to that we need to emulate all FPU operations and all the new paired
single operations too.

In order to achieve that, we take the guest's instruction, rip out the parameters, put in our own and execute the very same instruction, but also
fix up the QPR values along the way.

That way we can execute paired single FPU operations without implementing a
soft fpu.

A little frightening. How many instructions are there? Maybe we can just have an array of all of them followed by a return instruction, so we don't jit code.

There's all the instructions in the list, most can have the rc (compare) bit set to modify CC and iirc there were a couple ones with immediate values.

But maybe you're right. I probably could just always set rc and either ignore the result or use it. I could maybe find alternatives to immediate using instructions. Let me check this on the bus trip back from brussels.

static void call_fpu_inst(u32 inst, u64 *out, u64 *in1, u64 *in2, u64 *in3,
+              u32 *cr, u32 *fpscr)
+{
+    u32 cr_val = 0;
+    u32 *call_stack;
+    u64 inout[5] = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 };
+
+    if (fpscr)
+        inout[0] = *fpscr;
+    if (in1)
+        inout[1] = *in1;
+    if (in2)
+        inout[2] = *in2;
+    if (in3)
+        inout[3] = *in3;
+    if (cr)
+        cr_val = *cr;
+
+ dprintk(KERN_INFO "FPU Emulator 0x%x ( 0x%llx, 0x%llx, 0x %llx )", inst,
+                inout[1], inout[2], inout[3]);
+
+    call_stack =&kvmppc_call_stack[(smp_processor_id() * 2)];
+    call_stack[0] = inst;
+    /* call_stack[1] is INS_BLR */
+

Would be easier on the cache to do this per-cpu?

It is per-cpu. Or do you mean to actually use the PER_CPU definition? Is that guaranteed to be executable?

Alex