On 02/26/10 14:16, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Avi Kivity<a...@redhat.com>  wrote:

That was not what i suggested tho. tools/kvm/ would work plenty fine.

I'll wait until we have tools/libc and tools/X.  After all, they affect a
lot more people and are concerned with a lot more kernel/user interfaces
than kvm.

So your answer can be summed up as: 'we wont do what makes sense technically
because others suck even more' ?

Well in this discussion what makes sense technically differs depending
on who you ask.

I will argue that emulating the MSR access doesn't make sense
technically because there is no fixed specification we can rely on, since the spec seems to change randomly with every cpu family release
from Inte. In addition the overhead is making the resulting numbers
less if at all interesting.

Jes