On 03/24/2010 07:09 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
Joerg Roedel<j...@8bytes.org>  writes:
Sidenote: I really think we should come to a conclusion about the
           concept. KVM integration into perf is very useful feature to
          analyze virtualization workloads.
Agreed. I especially would like to see instruction/branch tracing
working this way.  This would a lot of the benefits of a simulator on
a real CPU.

If you're profiling a single guest it makes more sense to do this from inside the guest - you can profile userspace as well as the kernel.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.