On 03/24/2010 05:35 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
At least having a way to accept complete acpi table (with header
and checksum and everything) is - IMHO - a good thing.

Agreed.

But I'm not sure about the OEM ID strings in other tables in seabios, --
it is quite ugly, both in implementation (how to tell bios to change
its identify?)

There is the firmware configuration interface, see hw/fw_cfg.[ch] (used to expose the acpi tables as well).

and in the whole fact of it, since we're lying to the
(virtual) machine.  But from another point of view, it should be a
good debugging tool, since some software behaves differently given
one or another strings in the BIOS...

It's perfectly legitimate to lie to your guests.

For the OEM ID, we really need to change it to qemu for 0.13, so we'll need a firmware config interface for this even if we don't want to expose it to users.