Alex,

You don't need to run ntp on each guest. You can enable rtc support in the guest kernel and on the hypervisor. Run ntp client on the hypervisor via cron, and use hwclock -w on the hypervisor after you run ntp, to sync the hardware clock to the system clock (which is now updated by ntpdate). On the guests, periodically run hwclock -s to set the system clock from the hw clock.

This seems to work extremely well, the clocksource on the guests as kvm_clock, and as long as you have the clocksource as hpet or acpi_pm on the hypervisor, there doesn't seem to be any problems with keeping time.

The only thing I've noticed is that when you reboot, the very first guest will have the wrong time on boot, so the uptime is messed up.

Regards