Wang, Shane wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Wang, Shane wrote:

>>> tboot is not 0 if tboot module is run before kernel.
>>> If "tboot is enabled in hardware" (I assume you mean if Intel TXT is
>>> enabled in hardware) but tboot module is not run or old kernels
>>> don't support tboot module,
>>> we still have outside_smx bit in feature msr. Why might KVM not load?
>> If we have to hard-wire tboot_enabled in kvm-kmod to 0, KVM may not
>> test all required bits and erroneously assume VTX would be disabled.
>>
>> So I wondered what would happen if we hard-wired it to 1, pretending
>> that the tboot modules is loaded. Would we gain something without
>> loosing on some other end? If not, I would simply leave things as they
>> are now (i.e. always assuming tboot absence).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jan
>
> Why is VTX assumed to be disabled?

If TXT is on and VT is locked but KVM sees tboot_enabled == 0, it won't
check for FEATURE_CONTROL_VMXON_ENABLED_INSIDE_SMX during setup and may
consider VT unavailable. Moreover, if VT is not locked in that case, KVM
will also not set FEATURE_CONTROL_VMXON_ENABLED_INSIDE_SMX during
hardware_enable, likely leaving VT off then, no?

So my question is: Would it cause any harm to assume TXT being always
on, even if it wasn't?

Jan