On 06/08/2010 09:43 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
Is this plausible?

I'm trying to work out if it's even worth considering this approach to
enable all memory used by in a system to be open to KSM page merging,
rather than only memory used by specific programs aware of it (e.g.
kvm/qemu).

Something like this would address the fact that container based
virtualization (OpenVZ, VServer, LXC) cannot benefit from KSM.

What I'm thinking about is somehow intercepting malloc() and wrapping it
so that all malloc()-ed memory gets madvise()-d as well.

Has this been done?

Or is this too crazy an idea?

It should work. Note that the the malloced memory should be aligned in order to get better sharing.

Gordan