On 06/30/2010 09:25 PM, BuraphaLinux Server wrote:

Can you downgrade the kernel to a known good one to see which component
causes the failure?

Thank you for your suggestion.  Changing only the kernel back to
2.6.32.14 and changing nothing else, the qemu/kvm works well.
However, I want to run the newer kernel to get all the fixes in newer
kernels.  But for the short term, at least I can run my KVMs.

Sure.  This looks like a regression, and we want to fix it.

Since I want to move to the newer kernel, I would like to keep working
to resolve my problem.  Should I send the two kernel configs, or
bootup logs, or put them somewhere for download, or... ?

The surest way to find out the cause is to bisect. To do that, install git, and clone the Linux repository:

$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
  $ cd linux-2.6

Start by verifying that 2.6.32 (not 2.6.32.14) still works:

  $ git checkout v2.6.32
  # prune unnecessary modules
  $ make localmodconfig
  $ make && sudo make install
  # do your normal tests

If that fails, it means the fix is somewhere in v2.6.32.y, which should be easy to find. If it works, start your bisect

  $ git bisect start v.2.6.34 v2.6.32 virt/kvm arch/x86/kvm

Git will choose a commit, build it and test it.  If it works, do a

  $ git bisect good

otherwise,

  $ git bisect bad

Git will then choose another test point; build, test, and repeat. Eventually it will spit out the commit which caused the problem.

The process is time consuming, but has a high probability of pinpointing the cause of the bug accurately.