On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Sridhar Samudrala
<samudrala.srid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 19:53 -0400, Balachandar wrote:
>> I am resending this email as Freddie didn't use 'reply to all' when
>> replying to this message. I am also updating to answer Freddie's
>> questions..
>>
>> I can see that virtio network performance is poorer than emaulated
>> e1000 nic. I did some simple ping test and with emulated e1000 the
>> average rtt is around 600 microsec. With virtio the average rtt is 800
>> microsec. I am using a tap + bridge configuration. I run kvm as
>> follows
>>
>> kvm -m 512 -hda vdisk.img \
>> -net nic,model=virtio \
>> -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=qemu-ifup,downscript=no
>
> With newer qemu-kvm, you need to use -netdev tap to enable checksum/gso
> offloads.
>
> Try
> -net nic,model=virtio,netdev=tap0
> -netdev tap,ifname=tap0,id=tap0,vhost=on,script=qemu-ifup,downscript=no
>
> Thanks
> Sridhar

I tried this one also but not much improvement. Actually i get a some
improvement if i disabled the tx timeout timer in the virtio_net.h in
qemu-kvm. I read that with vhost the data flow path differs from
normal operation. So is the timeout applicable when we  use vhost
also? Actually i dont see any improvement with vhost. I am just
wondering what am i missing? The thing that worries me is that
emulated nic offers much greater performance than virtio with vhost.
So i feel i am doing something wrong but unable to find it.