> > I need to know if a cpu is currently inserted or ejected.
> >
> The only way to do that currently is to track it in your management app.

The Management App does know which one should be inserted or ejected.
I see now way of enforcing it though.

This is what I had in mind: (simplified)

1. Management App increase cpus
2. kvm (as instructed by app): insert cpu x
3. guest os: online cpu x
4. do some stuff in the guest...
5. guest os: offline cpu x
6. Management App decrease cpus
7. kvm (as instructed by app): eject cpu x

However after step 7 the guest can turn the cpu online again by issuing
echo 1 >/sys/devices/.../cpuX/online
If the guest does so, the Management App has no way of knowing and thus
cannot provide accurate logs - that is why it is so important.

Conrad