Just a bit more info from my unfortunate experience. I took about 20
hours to get the original WinXP machine virtualized including an
unfortunate bug?lock condition? That required a re-install after I
spent time doing an image.

Also initially I made the mistake of making an image of every
partition instead of cloning the entire physical drive. So that
obviously didn't work. When I realized my mistake, I thought since it
was possible to attach a physical drive to a guest, maybe I could run
the guest directly off the physical drive (the original was a fakeraid
1 so I had a backup copy in any case).

But for some reason it didn't work.

That was about the time I asked about the direct method. But the
resulting qcow2 didn't work in the end, I thought it did and happily
post my last update. However, the OS never managed to complete
booting, for some reason the guest took up 25% load and stay stuck.

I was running out of time, so apologies to the KVM folks, I took the
easy way out again (Xen didn't work for me either a yr ago).
Downloaded VM Player, qemu-img to a vmdk and although there was an
error message about invalid boot.ini, the XP guest works.

Despite the possibility of losing yet another day, I'll still give KVM
a try the next time I have to virtualize a machine.