On 11/24/2010 09:29 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>>  >
>>  Bug can still be yours but all this virtual inheritance make it much
>>  harder to understand what happens.
>
>  No, it's easier, since there's a lot less code to chase.
>
>  Of course, you have to learn the pattern in the language, but you do
>  this once and keep reusing this.  If it's emulated in C, you have to
>  read all the code over and over again (in different uses), always on the
>  lookout to see if it's exactly the same pattern, or if some bug crept in.

How does it get easier when you have to debug templated code? It is much
harder to read the assembly and match it to the code, so no it becomes
much harder to debug.

Oh yes, looking at compiled template heavy code is hard, especially with aggressive inlining (quite common in template code). But what are the C alternatives? forests of #defines, which are even harder, or abstracting via callbacks, which isn't what you want, or simply not doing it.

Try coding something like tr1::unordered_hash<> in C. A simple resizeable hash table that doesn't use callbacks for everything. You can't do it.

signature is too narrow to contain.