Hi Stefan,

Thanks for replying!  I was able to figure it out - it was not the fault of
KVM.  One of the guests was running ganglia gmetad which was updating 30,000+
rrd files every 15 seconds (thus generating load via disk I/O), I didn't spot
that until shutting down the VMs one by one until I found the offending one.
It was just a needle in a haystack.  ;)

Thanks again!