* James Neave (robo...@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM, James Neave <robo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Exact sequence is:
> >>
> >> echo "1002 4384" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/new_id
> >> echo "0000:00:14.4" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:14.4/driver/unbind
> >>
> >> I take it this is a bad thing then?

> >> Yes

> >> I determined it by being half asleep and not reading it properly... >.<
> >> You're right, all 5 devices were using pci-stub

> >> What does that libvirt error mean? I can't find a definition.
> >> Am I limiting myself by using libvirt? Would not using it help and how
> >> would I go about not using it?

> >> Game over then?
> >> I've tried assigning the USB devices before, I couldn't do it because
> >> qemu doesn't support USB2 devices.
> >> I don't really understand where this IRQ conflict is, the firewire and
> >> the USB2 device share IRQ22 but I'm assigning them both to the VM?
> >> Is that still a problem?
> >> I don't suppose there's any way to change which IRQ they use in the
> >> BIOS or with a command is there?
> >>
> >> I don't know if it means anything but this page:
> >>
> >> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200
> >>
> >> Has the lspci output for the HVR-2200 which mentions MSI and IRQ255.
> >> My knowledge it very limited on this subject so I don't know if that's
> >> meaningless looking at the output from another person's lspci.
> >>
> >> Anything left to try?
> >>
> >> Regardless, many thanks for your help,
> >>
> >> James.
> >>

> > On the off chance I tried disabling the firewire in the BIOS, which
> > leaves only my tuner card using IRQ 20, 21 and 22.
> > No difference, still complains about IRQs:
> >
> > Using raw in/out ioport access (sysfs - Input/output error)
> > Failed to assign irq for "hostdev0": Operation not permitted
> > Perhaps you are assigning a device that shares an IRQ with another device?
> >
> > It does say "Operation not permitted" and that only "perhaps" I am
> > assigning a device that shares an IRQ.
> > Perhaps IRQ conflict it not the problem? They really are sitting on
> > their own. Another permissions problem perhaps?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > James.
> >

> I'm reading something about this error message being related to
> libvirt and CAP_SYS_RAWIO?

Depending on how new your libvirt is, you can force it to stop dropping
capabilities.  Look for the config item "clear_emulator_capabilities"
in /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf.  Setting this to 0 would verify that's the
problem (and not a real shared irq...i thought i saw sharing on
/proc/interrupts though).

> http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@vger.kernel.org/msg34338.html
> http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=libvirt+CAP_SYS_RAWIO&cp=21&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=libvirt+CAP_SYS_RAWIO&pbx=1&fp=2d8e3f69fec095f4
>
> "When I patch libvirt to not drop the capabilities, everything works
> as expected."

Well, that's a good point.  We fixed that a while ago, but I'm not sure
your kernel has that fix.

2.6.35.10-dmar (btw, random nitpick, dmar == intel dma remapping engine,
aka vt-d not amd iommu ;)

This was fixed in 2.6.36, commit:

48bb09e KVM: remove CAP_SYS_RAWIO requirement from kvm_vm_ioctl_assign_irq

The last 2.6.35 stable release is 2.6.35.9 and does not have that fix.
So unless your .10-dmar has it, you could patch it in.

thanks,
-chris