Hello All,

I have been working on a feature called Livebackup for qemu-kvm (actually it is applicable to qemu). This is a feature that enables a system administrator or a backup program to take full and incremental backups of running VMs. It is explained in more detail here:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Livebackup

I had initiated communication with Stefan a week or so ago regarding this feature and we had some discussion comparing it with two other proposals - Snapshot and Snapshot2.

I have further updated my documentation, and I have been testing my code more intensively over the last week or so. I have two git source trees based on qemu and qemu-kvm for this codebase. I will continue to maintain both till it is necessary.

At this time I would like to restart the discussion around Livebackup and related features.

Having a live backup feature for kvm will make it a better solution for IaaS clouds compared to xen. I would like to solicit feedback from all of you folks involved in the block subsystem of qemu. Stefan mentioned that Jes is the person most intimately involved in the block subsystem, so Jes - your feedback is particularly important.

Thanks,
Jagane