Hi,

We have a 256 core SGI Ultraviolet machine running RHEL 6.1 with qemu-kvm 0.13,
and we'd like to be able to start large guest VMs of up to 256 cores.  I see
that x86 guests are currently limited to 64 VCPUs.  Is there any reason for
this hard limitation?  It appears that we can't get around this limitation by
simply redefining the kernel's KVM_MAX_VCPUS to 256.  Qemu-kvm and possibly
SeaBIOS seem to require changes as well.  Can anyone offer any suggestions as
to how straightforward it would be to increase the number of CPUs that we can
allocate to KVM guests?

thanks,
JP --