On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Alexander Graf <ag...@suse.de> wrote:
> Hi Kun,
>
> On 08/29/2011 11:31 AM, Kun Wang wrote:
>>
>> Hi, everyone,
>>
>> This is Kun Wang from IBM Research China. I and my team have been working
>> on IBM PowerEN processor in recent years, including its simulation,
>> lib/runtime optimization and etc. Now we start the work to enable KVM on
>> PowerEN processor. Since the A2 core of PowerEN follows Power ISA v2.06
>> (more specifically, book3e and 64-bit), I believe 99% of our work will
>> stick to the ISA, and hence can be leveraged by others.
>>
>> As the new one to this KVM world, I and my team definitely need your help.
>> Looking forward to talking and working with you guys in the future.
>
> Welcome to the PowerPC KVM world! I'm looking very much forward to working
> with you there. Please always CC kvm@vger.kernel.org for emails you send to
> kvm-ppc@vger, unless you think of it as completely off-generic-kvm
> discussions. I like the idea of having more clever people involved in the
> PPC KVM process and by CC'ing kvm@vger, we get more exposure.
>
> The Freescale e500 cores are basically BookE 2.06 compliant with a few
> specialties here and there. Have you looked at their code? Sure, it's 32-bit
> as is now but there is definitely work going on at Freescale to get it
> 64-bit too.
>
> Maybe it makes sense to take the current code as a starting point and slowly
> move towards an architecture that is more generic. Maybe it makes sense to
> start from scratch and actually design something flexible that splits guest
> and host TLB code, so we could potentially run cross-book KVM in the future
> (which I would love to see happen! Just imagine running a PowerEN guest on a
> POWER7 system).
>
> Either way, please make sure to coordinate any efforts with me and Scott so
> we don't walk off in different directions and only get to realize we went
> down the wrong path when there's already a 100 patches patch set on the
> mailing list :)

Also, note--  we (Freescale) do have a patchset coming soon for the e500mc
which is a 2.06 embedded 32-bit CPU with category E.HV.    We've had this
running for a while and are close to finishing some cleanup before posting
upstream.  We are are also starting to look at 64-bit support for our e5500
CPU we should be a delta on top of the e500mc support.

Just want to make you aware of some current work that may overlap your
A2 KVM support...

Stuart