On 09/01/2011 02:27 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 2011-02-22 19:08, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>  On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 04:53:09PM +0800, Sheng Yang wrote:
>>  Sorry for the long delay, just come back from vacation...
>>
>>  Change from v8:
>>  1. Update struct kvm_run to contain MSI-X routing update exit specific
>>  information.
>>  2. Fix a mmio_nr counting bug.
>>
>>  Notice this patchset still based on 2.6.37 due to a block bug on assigned
>>  device in the upstream now.
>>
>>  Sheng Yang (4):
>>    KVM: Move struct kvm_io_device to kvm_host.h
>>    KVM: Add kvm_io_ext_data to IO handler
>>    KVM: Emulate MSI-X table in kernel
>>    KVM: Add documents for MSI-X MMIO API
>
>  Looks good to me.

What happened to this series and [1]? Forgotten because Sheng switched
his job?

I actually have guilty feelings about it now and then. It's just hard to merge such a complicated change with a non-trivial userspace interface.

I just realized that MSI-X per-vector masking for assigned devices is
not only slow (takes user space exits) but just simply broken (masking
bit is not evaluated and applied to the device).

Isn't that just a bug in qemu?  Or something else?

BTW, the same is also true for that optional per-vector masking of
legacy MSI. Are there devices in the field that actually support this? I
haven't found one so far and tend to consider this feature not worth
implementing.

Don't know. I don't like implementing features on the basis of bug reports, though. On the other hand we can't really test it without a real device.

Jan

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/68144