On 9/11/2011 6:18 AM, Roopa Prabhu wrote:

On 9/11/11 2:44 AM, "Michael S. Tsirkin"<m...@redhat.com>  wrote:

AFAIK, though it might maintain a single filter table space in hw, hw does
know which filter belongs to which VF. And the OS driver does not need to do
anything special. The VF driver exposes a VF netdev. And any uc/mc addresses
registered with a VF netdev are registered with the hw by the driver. And hw
will filter and send only pkts that the VF has expressed interest in.

No special filter partitioning in hw is required.

Thanks,
Roopa
Yes, but what I mean is, if the size of the single filter table
is limited, we need to decide how many addresses is
each guest allowed. If we let one guest ask for
as many as it wants, it can lock others out.
Yes true. In these cases ie when the number of unicast addresses being
registered is more than it can handle, The VF driver will put the VF  in
promiscuous mode (Or at least its supposed to do. I think all drivers do
that).

What does putting VF in promiscuous mode mean? How can the NIC decide which set of mac addresses are passed to the VF? Does it mean VF sees all the packets received
by the NIC including packets destined for other VFs/PF?

Thanks
Sridhar