Dear all,

it seems that I am unable to pass multiple cores / CPUs to KVM guests. Whatever
I do, the guests only report one CPU / core.

Host hardware: Xeon E5620 on a Supermicro mainboard
Host software: Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) 64-Bit

I have compiled my own (newer) kernel 2.6.37 for Natty (since I had certain
problems with PCI passthrough if I used the standard kernel). I did not alter
the other parts of the distribution; notably, I am using the original qemu-kvm
package which was included.

Since virt-manager and the related tools were failing with unintelligible error
messages when trying the very first basic action, I am starting the virtual
machines by hand instead of using any wrappers / managers. I am using commands
like this one:

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -M pc -cpu host -smp cores=2,threads=1,sockets=1
-drive file=/dev/sda6,if=virtio,cache=none,index=0 -drive
file=/dev/sdb,if=virtio,cache=none,index=1 -cdrom /dev/cdrom -pidfile
./qemu-garak.pid -boot c -k de -m 4096 -smp 1 -device pci-assign,host=01:05.0
-daemonize -usb -usbdevice "tablet" -name garak -net
nic,vlan=0,model=virtio,macaddr=02:01:01:01:01:01 -net
tap,vlan=0,ifname=virtnet1,script=/etc/qemu-ifup,downscript=/etc/qemu-ifup -vnc
:1

I also have tried -cpu host and -smp cores=1,threads=1,sockets=2 (amongst other
things).

I am running several Windows guests (Server 2003 R2 (32 Bit), Server 2008 R2
(64 Bit), Windows XP Pro (32 Bit), Windows 7 Pro (64 Bit)) and Linux guests
(Ubuntu 11.10 (64 Bit), Debian squeeze (32 Bit)), but all of these only report
one processor / core, regardless of the -smp settings; besides that, the setup
works reliably.

Now, I really need additional CPU power in one of the guests, so I am wondering
what I am doing wrong. Of course, I have read about changing the HAL within
Windows and tried several things (Uniprocessor HAL vs. Multiprocessor HAL), but
with no success. After having put a whole day into trying to solve the problem,
I now don't know what else I could do.

Does anybody have any idea what is going wrong? Is there some kernel compile
option (2.6.37) which may be responsible for not being able to pass multiple
cores to the guests? Does the qemu-kvm version have to fit to the kernel
version (there are no warning messages when I start the guests like shown
above)?

Thank you very much,

Binarus