[Dropped non-kvm members from cc]

Marcelo Tosatti <mtosa...@redhat.com> wrote:

> VGABIOS mode constantly destroys and creates 0xa0000 slot, so
> performance is required for KVM_SET_MEM too (it can probably be fixed in
> qemu, but older qemu's must be supported).

Apart from srcu, I see some problems concerning slot creation/destruction:
heavy shadow flush (and extra write protection).

Look at __kvm_set_memory_region().

1. When we invalidate a memory slot, we call kvm_arch_flush_shadow() and
zap all shadow pages, not restricted to that slot.

        /* From this point no new shadow pages pointing to a deleted
         * memslot will be created.
         *
         * validation of sp->gfn happens in:
         *      - gfn_to_hva (kvm_read_guest, gfn_to_pfn)
         *      - kvm_is_visible_gfn (mmu_check_roots)
         */
        kvm_arch_flush_shadow(kvm);

2. When we create(and shift?) a memory slot, we call kvm_arch_flush_shadow()
to clear all mmio sptes, again not restricted to that slot.

        /*
         * If the new memory slot is created, we need to clear all
         * mmio sptes.
         */
        if (npages && old.base_gfn != mem->guest_phys_addr >> PAGE_SHIFT)
                kvm_arch_flush_shadow(kvm);

3. In addition to these, we do write-protect all pages in that slot in
kvm_arch_commit_memory_region() every time.

For 1:  I made a patch to restrict the flush to that slot by using
sp->slot_bitmap.
(seems working here)

For 2:  I think we can do the same:  not 100% sure yet because I am still
struggling with the "mmio spte optimization" code.  (really hacky ...)

For 3:  I think doing both "write protection" and "shadow flush" is unnecessary.

BTW do we really need fast slot creation/destruction?

        Takuya