On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 08:39 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> Some related discussion points:
>  * the bridge needs to support control from both userspace (MSTP, TRILL, ...)
>    and kernel space (offload etc)

I think all are pretty much covered if you let some controler (I prefer
user space) ADD/DEL/GET/Event on the fdb
TRILL really is outside the scope of this; from an encap/decap it
probably needs to be YAND (Yet another netdev) and from a control side
of things you need to just provide the above netlink ops(ADD, etC) on
the fdb and let the controller worry about things (Actually you _may_
need to have learning done outside of the kernel for TRILL)

>  * the bridge forwarding database is simpler and different than the existing
>    neighbor table, don't remember the details but last time I checked it
>    using neighbor table in bridge would be putting square peg in round hole.

Agreed.

cheers,
jamal