We have an Hylafax 5.2.5 CentOS 5 installation hosted inside a Xen virtual
machine. It works quite well, but now I'm in the process of
upgrading/migrating it to a KVM virtual machine running Ubuntu 10.04.

The problem I'm having is that - while receiving works fine - sending faxes
is extremely unreliable, I get lots of "No response to MPS repeated 3
tries", or "Failure to transmit clean ECM image data", just what would
happen if the phone line was noisy.

For the record, I switched to a CentOS VM instead of an Ubuntu one, and now it's working much better