Resending to the list, plan text only.  Sorry about that...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Adding an IPMI BMC device to KVM
Date:   Mon, 07 May 2012 16:57:06 -0500
From:   Corey Minyard <tcminy...@gmail.com>
To:     Anthony Liguori <anth...@codemonkey.ws>
CC:     kvm@vger.kernel.org, Avi Kivity <a...@redhat.com>

On 05/05/2012 09:29 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

You could just use a USB rndis device and then run an IPMI server on the host. That is probably the simpliest way to test.

I'm trying to figure out how RNDIS would be helpful here. You can't have the guest talk USB for this, it's going to talk the standard interfaces.

However, I am loathe to create my own protocol for talking between the BMC and QEMU. Perhaps RNDIS could be useful, but it's massive overkill. It also doesn't provide any security. If there were client and server libraries that would run over a socket, that would be tempting.

I'm wondering if security is that big a deal, though. If you use a chardev, and you have QEMU make a connection to the BMC, maybe that would be ok.

BMCs typically run a full OS like Linux making emulation as a device in QEMU prohibitively hard.

BMCs are generally very simple 8-bit microcontrollers, unless they are something like an ATCA shelf manager. Emulation is pretty easy. Well, emulation of an ATCA shelf manager wouldn't be easy, but that's hopefully not required in the near future.

-corey

Regards,

Anthony Liguori