On 09/06/2012 06:23 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 6 September 2012 16:16, Avi Kivity <a...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> (and the APIC, if treated as one-large-register) is 4k)
>
> ...so don't do that then. Trying to treat the whole APIC
> as a single "register" means you don't get any of the
> advantages of "does this kernel support this register?"
> etc. Is there some reason I'm not seeing why it would
> make sense to do it that way?

It's just the easiest path forward.

"one large register" is mainly useful if registers have
interdependencies.  That doesn't exist in the APIC AFAIR, but it does
exist elsewhere.  Another way to handle interdependencies is to defer
applying the changes until a KVM_RUN, and then evaluate them as a group.