On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:03:19PM +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 26.11.2012, at 22:48, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> >> That's exactly where my question lies. Does that mean we don't flush the
> >> TLB entry regardless when we take the page away from the guest?
> >
> > The question is how to find the TLB entry if the HPTE it came from is
> > no longer present.  Flushing a TLB entry requires a virtual address.
> > When we're taking a page away from the guest we have the real address
> > of the page, not the virtual address.  We can use the reverse-mapping
> > chains to loop through all the HPTEs that map the page, and from each
> > HPTE we can (and do) calculate a virtual address and do a TLBIE on
> > that virtual address (each HPTE could be at a different virtual
> > address).
> >
> > The difficulty comes when we no longer have the HPTE but we
> > potentially have a stale TLB entry, due to having used tlbiel when we
> > removed the HPTE.  Without the HPTE the only way to get rid of the
> > stale TLB entry would be to completely flush all the TLB entries for
> > the guest's LPID on every physical CPU it had ever run on.  Since I
> > don't want to go to that much effort, what I am proposing, and what
> > this patch implements, is to not ever use tlbiel when removing HPTEs
> > in SMP guests on POWER7.
> >
> > In other words, what this patch is about is making sure we don't get
> > these troublesome stale TLB entries.
>
> I see. You could keep a list of to-be-flushed VAs around that you could skim
> through when taking a page away from the guest. That way you make the fast
> case fast (add/remove of page from the guest) and the slow path slow (paging).

Yes, I thought about that, but the problem is that the list of VAs
could get arbitrarily long and take up a lot of host memory.

> But I'm fine with disallowing local flushes on remove completely for now. It
> would be nice to get performance data on how much this would be a net win
> though. There are certainly ways of keeping local flushes alive with the
> scheme above.

Yes, I definitely want to get some good performance data to see how
much of a win it would be, and if there is a good win, work out some
scheme to let us use the local flushes.

> Thanks, applied to kvm-ppc-next.

Thanks,
Paul.