On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Vadim Rozenfeld <vroze...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I've also added +hv_relaxed since then, but this is the command I'm
>
> I would suggest activating relaxed timing for all W2K8R2/Win7 guests.

Is there any place I can read up on the downsides of this for Linux,
or is Just Better?

>> running and a lot of time (60%?) is spent calling two functions from
>> hal.dll, HalpGetPmTimerSleepModePerfCounter when I disable HPET, and
>> HalpHPETProgramRolloverTimer which do point at something related to
>> the timers.
>>
> It means that hyper-v time stamp source was not activated.

I recompiled the whole kernel, with your patch, and while I cannot
check at 70Mbps now, a test stream of 20 seems to do better. Also, now
I don't see any of those functions, which used to account ~60% of the
time spent by the program. I'm waiting for the customer to come back
and start the 'real' stream, but from my tests, time spent in hal.dll
is now an order of magnitude smaller.

--
George-Cristian Bîrzan